Thursday, June 5, 2008

Zürich and Strasbourg Churches, Europe 2008, pt3

Now here was my favorite stained glass work of the trip: Marc Chagall's windows in the Fraümuster, (Church of our Lady) in Zürich, Switzerland. I think I sat there for an hour without realizing it. There are five windows in total, with each a different primary color. The blue depiction of Jacob's dream, struggle with the angel and the stairway to heaven is brilliant, as is the green depiction of the virgin and the crucifixion.
The roman style Grossmünster above became the symbol of the reformation in Switzerland, spearheaded by Zwingli. It has some interesting history before that as well; legend has it that Charlemagne commissioned it in honor of the martyrs Felix and Regula's tombs.Door carvings at the Grossmünster, note four women at the bottom, Jesus' mother and foremothers: Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Maria. Don't you just love how all of them have such unconventional stories? Rahab, a former prostitute? Ruth, a gentile heroine, etc? I do.
The Limmat river and sunset in Zürich.
The Cathedral in Strasbourg, France above, was also interesting to see. As B put it, it feels like the church was made for giants it's so big. But the most interesting was the carvings below above the main entrance of different theological narratives.
These scenes start from creation and go right up to the apocalypse, and include themes like creation, prophecy, old testament stories and gospel scenes. It is one of the most thorough and complete statements I've seen in one place.
Inside the cathedral was another extremely fascinating item: the huge clock to the left. Not only did it tell you the state of the moon relative to the earth and gives all the astrological signs, but at the top of the hour 'Death' in person comes dancing out! I suppose to remind us that we will all die?
Speaking of clocks, um, there were so many clocks! everywhere! and bells! and at the top of the hour the all compete for your ear. I recorded a few minutes of the 7:00pm bells in Zürich. I miss not hearing them, actually.

[Listening may require Quicktime plug-in and settings]

4 comments:

jackofhearts said...

amazing pictures. i especially loved teh sound recording of the bells. reminded me of i think that edgar allen poe story (or poem) where the bells drive the guy crazy. also i changed the settings on my blog so anyone can comment. great stuff!!

Anonymous said...

Sister, all the pictures are so pretty, such lovely places you visited, im happy for you i miss you

Anonymous said...

Hey, I also saw Marc Chagall's stained glass on my trip, at St. Stephene's Church in Mainz! It was all blue and the entire glasses were his work.
Now it makes me wonder how many churches he worked on.
- Nalika

Anonymous said...

Very good information. Lucky me I came across your website by accident (stumbleupon).
I have bookmarked it for later!

Here is my web blog www.insiderpages.com