Saturday, December 27, 2008

Merry Christmas, Thai Aquarium Style

What is Christmas-time like in Thailand, the land of a thousand Buddha images? Were can you find the Christmas holiday spirit? My family is visiting me for Christmas break, and I had warned that there may not be a whole lot of Christmas-y stuff going on in this Buddhist country. I hadn't spent a Christmas in Thailand, but I thought if Thailand is anything like Cambodia or the surrounding countries I have spend Christmas in, then I was guessing: pretty quiet. Boy, was I completely wrong! We found Christmas celebrated most enthusiastically in, of all places, the Aquarium in the Chiang Mai Zoo! Let me tell you a little of what we found: A big Santa Claus and reindeers greeting us at the entrance to the Aquarium; every one of the staff were wearing red and white Santa hats; inside, Christmas tunes were jingle-belling loudly; and, the best was the Christmas trees, all decorated and with presents, inside the tanks! On Christmas day, the Bangkok Post front page had two employees inside the tanks dressed in Santa Claus gear feeding the fish! I leave you with these images to smile at :)

Merry Christmas, and blessings to all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know that you like Christmas in Thailand :)

aj.Daeng said...

Yes, my Thai Xmas was very nice, thank you. I found that Thai people went out of their way to be friendly in this way. Nice to get comments - from known or anonymous readers like yourself :)

Anonymous said...

Huah! Amazing, wish I could go someday to Thailand, I would love to visit oriental countries, algun dia, give my love to your mom and sis, take care God Bless, Janeth and Courtney Xatruch