Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Easter Weekend Beaching in Bonnaca

In mainland, mostly Catholic Honduras, Easter is filled with religious celebrations, processions, flowers, as should be at the height of the most important Christian holiday. The whole country closes down for Semana Santa. But on The Bay Islands in the Caribbean which is mostly Protestant, the dominant mode of celebration is going to the beach. Days and days of beaching! Days and days of local food and music, celebrating with friends and family. It's the time of year islanders living all over the world 'come home.' It's also a time for those who live in the mainland to get in a beach holiday. It's been years and years since I've had a chance to spend Easter at home.
I'm very grateful I got to get there this year. Here's a few pictures, and a favorite Soca style song from our local Roatan band, Sherman and the Boys:

[Listening may require Quicktime plug-in and settings]

7 comments:

aj.Daeng said...

thanks Davina P. for the first pic, since I didn't take hardly any!

Tanya K. said...

Love your blog, keep up the good work! Hope you are enjoying the rest of your vacation...I´m still drinking your coffee :)

Sarah said...

You SDA sun-worshipers. :) The song makes a great, if occasionally strange, soundtrack to the "Red Photos" slideshow. Now that I've heard soca, I have an even worse feeling about the mixtape I made you -- 74 minutes of the opposite of island music.

Michie said...

I always love reading your blog, easter was great even thou u left just a little too early, miss u sister

Alex said...

Hello cunada, too much to see in Rome. Que bueno que te gusto, we hope to see in december.

lol

j said...

wow, I want to go there!

R.H. said...

So glad I "ran" into you online. I often wonder about you and your family and how you're all doing...now that I've found your blog...I will wonder no more! I'm happy to see that you are all fine, livin' and lovin' what you do.

Hope to see you soon and catch up in person someday.

-Rima