Monday, October 22, 2007

A silly nickname for me, please

Thailand is a land of silly nicknames, or 'play names' as they call them, and just about everyone has one (see this article from IHT). Actual Thai names are such long testaments most people only know the names of people close to them. That means the most accomplished people will introduce themselves as 'Bird' (nok) or 'Shrimp' (khun) or 'Chicken' (guy) or 'Pig' (moo)! I got carried away with animal names ... But English numbers are a trend too like 'First,' and then there's any number of letters: 'A,' 'D' or 'M.' It's also nice that they are gender neutral and just plain funny.

And I want one! If only because the accent butchers my name--having no 'v' sound, people pronounce my name with a horrid drawn out 'w' which ends up sounding like wwwwaaaaaaaaa. So I've chosen some for this blog: 'A' is common for the first born of the family, as am I, so I may refer to myself as 'A,' or aj. for ajarn as some students call me. Or Daeng for Red, or just aj.D. Some of my colleagues have called me Nong Suay and Warunee, but I just can't mange to say, 'Hi, I'm Beautiful Sister,' or 'Pretty Girl!' Anyway, some friends here get a kick out habitually of mispronouncing my name. So I'll have to try new names on the next person I meet.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola es un placer leer tu pag web and I think uncle rick work fine as a nick name, maybe you'll like to try it again,luv. aunt D

aj.Daeng said...

thanks aunt D. uncle rick or ricky's 'duppy' works too ...

Anonymous said...

Eva, why would these names ever shoke you, we come from a place where people are callled: Plywood, Negative, Rubbersex, Mr. Chocolate, Gasoline, among others!

Anonymous said...

here are some of the things that i came up with that are "red" related:

red faced
red herring
redneck
seeing red
red tide
red alert
red light
red light district
"better dead than red" (cold war era!)
red phones (d.c.-moscow connection, another cold war term)

the above terms have negative connotation - at least in english. for easterners (china, vietnam, korea etc.) red is associated with luck and happniness!! there u go, ajarn daeng!

other things red:

redskins (d.c. football team)
red sox

sayings & titles:
"red sky in the morning, sailor's warning; red sky at night, sailor's delight" (at least true in the chesapeake bay area where i sail)
"the red pony" (j. steinbeck)
"the hunt for the red october"
"behind the red mist" (novel by ho anh thai, vietnamese writer)
"le ballon rouge" ("the red balloon" - french advant-garde movie about a boy and his red balloon - 60s era)
"the lady in red"

enjoy,
og

aj.Daeng said...

I'm glad you found the site enjoyable, new reader. Your comment is much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning!!! theredconnection.blogspot.com is one of the most excellent resourceful websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. theredconnection.blogspot.com rocks!

Anonymous said...

I’m nonetheless studying from you, but I’m bettering myself. I certainly love studying the whole lot that is written in your blog.Maintain the stories coming. I loved it!
You ought to really take into consideration engaged on developing this blog into a serious authority on this market. You evidently have a grasp handle of the topics everyone seems to be looking for on this website in any case and you would definitely even earn a buck or two off of some advertisements. I would discover following recent topics and elevating the quantity of write ups you set up and I guarantee you’d start seeing some superb targeted traffic within the close to future. Only a thought, good luck in whatever you do!
Extremely rated post. I learn something completely new on completely different blogs everyday. Deciding on one . stimulating to learn the paper content material from other writers and study a little bit something from their website. I’d like to use certain of this content on my blog you’re mind. Natually I’ll give a hyperlink right here we are at your web-site. Appreciate your sharing.


Old School Stream

Anonymous said...

superb post! I hate commenting and i dont typically do it but since i enjoyed this, what the heck! Thanks alot!:)